The Police
Message Type Icon

Keeping your home safe

Good afternoon,


As the weather starts to get warmer we are reminding residents to keep their properties safe by not leaving windows open whilst the house is not occupied. 


Please see below on some tips and advice in relation to keeping your home safe.


Window security

Burglars target windows as they can offer easier access than doors. Check how your windows look from the outside, removing potential access points where you can.

Are there walls, bins or garden furniture that could be used to reach windows? For windows that are within reaching distance such as ground floors, see our tips below.


1. Laminated glass or security film is recommended for ground floor and accessible windows.

2. Sash stops prevent anyone opening the sash window enough to climb through.


3. Key operated locks are recommended for window types that open out, rather than up, and any ground floor or accessible windows. Remember, window locks are only effective if used, so check that you have locked them before you leave home or go to bed.

4. Window opening restrictors allow you to ventilate your home but make sure they can’t be picked and unlocked from outside.


Further advice

Burglars have been known to use ladders to access upper windows that appear to be unlocked. This is to avoid intruder alarm sensors on the lower floor. These ladders are either found in a garden or brought by the suspect. You should make sure windows on upper floors have locks or sash stops. You should also extend any alarm sensor coverage to upper rooms.

If you’re replacing your windows, always consider a security accredited product as these windows are tested to British standards and are insurance approved. A good standard is PAS 24 2022. 

A locksmith belonging to the Master Locksmiths Association can suggest the correct standard of window lock and offer advice on upgrading window security.


Window security | Crime Prevention | Kent Police 

Reply to this message

Message Sent By
James Tancock
(Kent Police, Police Constable, Swale Neighbourhood Beat Officer )

Please note that My Community Voice is not for reporting crimes or incidents. Instead you should:

  • Report a non-urgent crimes online: Report | Kent Police
  • Talk to us via our Live Chat by clicking on the blue button on our website: Home | Kent Police
  • If you are hearing or speech impaired, use the textphone service 18000 for emergencies or download the BT Relay app
  • Call 999 in an emergency, if a crime is in progress or life is in danger.

Neighbourhood Alert Cyber Essentials