The Police
Message Type Icon

E-scooters - Know the law

Good morning, Resident


Please read the below information carefully. If you or someone you know owns a ESCOOTER make sure not to ride it in a public place (I.E PUBLIC ROAD, PARK ETC) otherwise you may face losing it.


My opinion is these could be a great method of transport if used and driven in the correct manner but unfortunately the many spoil it for the few. Many colleagues have attended to seriously injured persons and even fatal collisions where the E-Scooters have been driven recklessly. Riders should be wearing protective equipment are often not. 



What you need to know?
e-scooters are classed as Personal Light Electric Vehicles (PLEVs), which means they are treated as motor vehicles and subject to the same legal requirements, such as driving licence, insurance, number plates, lighting, road tax, crash helmets etc. Without these, e-scooters cannot be used legally on the road. 

The Government is currently trialling the use of approved rental e-scooters as environmentally friendly modes of transport in some specific locations in the UK. For the rest of the country, under current law, e-scooters can only be used on private land. 

What should I do now? 
It’s our priority to keep you and other road users safe. We are obliged to take action against anyone who is caught repeatedly using an e-scooter illegally or in a way that causes a nuisance to others. In these circumstances we have the power to seize the e-scooter under Section 59 of the Police Reform Act/165 of the Road Traffic Act – and we’d really prefer not to. Please make sure you only use your e scooter on private land. For more information about powered transporters and the law, visit www.gov.uk




Reply to this message

Message Sent By
Steven Shipley
(Kent Police, PC, Swanley Neighbourhood Beat Officer)

Please note that My Community Voice is not for reporting crimes or incidents. Instead you should:

  • Report a non-urgent crimes online: Report | Kent Police
  • Talk to us via our Live Chat by clicking on the blue button on our website: Home | Kent Police
  • If you are hearing or speech impaired, use the textphone service 18000 for emergencies or download the BT Relay app
  • Call 999 in an emergency, if a crime is in progress or life is in danger.

Neighbourhood Alert Cyber Essentials